In 1858 most of this congregation followed their national denomination which had merged with other Presbyterian sects and became known as the United Presbyterian Church in North America. A small minority of the Cove congregation continued as the Associate Church and worshipped at the Stone Church until they built their frame building at the Union Cemetery in 1879. The United Presbyterian congregation stayed in the Cove until it built a two-story frame building on Lincoln Way West in McConnellsburg in 1886. The Stone Church was abandoned and it collapsed in July, 1919. The few Associated members who refused to enter the union of 1858 continued their existence as an Associate congregation until 1912, when they transferred into the national United Presbyterian Church, became the Second Cove United Presbyterian Church, and then finally merged with the first Cove congregation at the Lincoln Way West building in April 1922. After 16 years as one congregation in this building, the United Presbyterians built a brick church and parsonage on North Second Street and moved into in January 1938.
Beginning in 1948 the McConnellsburg Presbyterians on South Second Street and the McConnellsburg United Presbyterians on North Second Street shared a pastor and buildings. When the two churches merged nationally in Pittsburgh in 1948 and became the United Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., the “old” local United Presbyterians gave up their church building but retained the parsonage. Their church was sold and became the local Masonic Lodge. The new merged congregation began worshipping at the present South Second Street church, where an education building was added in 1962. To safeguard the church building, a large remodeling job of reinforcing the structure and brick-facing the entire brick exterior took place in 1981.
On November 2, 1988, a house at 116 South Second Street was purchased and named The Fellowship House. Extensive renovations and interior decorating were done, and it was dedicated for use in the spring of 1990. The house contains the pastor’s study, church office, board room for meetings, church parlor, as well as adult and youth meeting rooms.